GROWTH GROUP QUESTIONS
Context and Background:
Joseph is the great grandson of Abraham and Sarah. Remember last week in Gen15, when God told Abraham that his descendents will be as numerous as the stars in the sky? God also told him that they would also be taken away to a foreign land for 400 years. Joseph’s life ushers in this period of Israel’s history.
We first meet Joseph as a boy with vivid dreams. As the first of only two children by Rachel, his father’s true love, Joseph is his father’s favorite. On top of that, Joseph has grandiose dreams that rub his brothers the wrong way. His brothers sell Joseph to slave traders which sends Joseph down a 22 year journey of ups and downs.
As we walk with Joseph along his meandering journey in Egypt, we are offered some windows into what sustains him while he is isolated.
- In Gen 37, How would you describe Joseph’s attitude and outlook as a teen?
- What are some common themes we see throughout Joseph’s life?
- What do you think is Joseph’s lowest point?
- In his conversation with Pharaoh’s cupbearer, what do we learn about how Joseph views what has happened to him?
- What sustains Joseph through the ups and downs of his life in Egypt?
- What are some God moments/signposts that God gives Joseph to help him know he’s not abandoned?
- In Gen 45, how has Joseph’s thinking and perspective evolved?
- What pivotal role does Joseph play in God’s bigger plan for Israel? Do you think he’s fully aware of his role?
- What do we learn about God’s timeline?
- What do we learn about God’s calling and purpose for those who walk with him?
- How does God use seasons of solitude and separation to mold and shape our hearts?
- What role do God’s promises and God moments play in getting us through long periods of waiting and uncertainty?
- Do you feel like you’re in the Egypt of your life? Do you sense that you’ve been called to something greater? Ask the Lord, how you can be faithful in the here and the now as you wait..
- What are some of God’s promises and signposts that He’s given you to sustain you as your meander through life’s ups and downs?
- How can you lean in and remain faithful during this season of solitude and separation, while surrendering to God’s timing and plan.
Map out the story of your life (click to download PDF) on a timeline similar to Joseph’s above. What have been the major events (the highs and lows) that have shaped you?
Now, zoom your life’s timeline way out in your mind. Then zoom even further out into eternity, that’s how long you will rule with God. How does your perspective change?
Ask God to show you the recurring themes in your life and invite him to deepen the work he is doing.